Michael Katz is an associate in Bricker’s Public Finance group. His practice focuses on promoting economic development around Ohio, representing municipalities, political subdivisions and private developers in various financial transactions. He also works with port authorities and new community authorities to assist with economic development transactions. Michael has been involved in property assessed clean energy (PACE) financing deals and the creation of energy special improvement districts throughout Ohio.
Previously, Michael represented political subdivisions and school districts around the state with construction projects, primarily drafting construction contract documents and handling necessary litigation arising out of defective work.
Prior to his time at Bricker, Michael worked as a summer research associate for the Bluhm Legal Clinic at Northwestern University's Center for Criminal Defense doing pro bono criminal defense work. He also spent time as an independent researcher in psychology at Miami University, researching mirror neurons and behavioral mimicry in social interactions. He was a member of Bricker & Eckler’s 2014 Summer Associate class and spent a portion of his summer experience working with the intellectual property team of a major financial services client.
Conversion of a former munitions factory
Served as counsel to a port authority for a capital lease transaction, providing a sales tax exemption to the developer and property owner. The transaction enables the conversion of a former munitions factory to a 240,000-square-foot mixed-use space, including apartments, restaurants, retail and parking.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Bricker & Eckler Summer Associate Committee
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "PACE Legal Requirements," Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Workshop, September 2018
- Author, "New legislation proposes public water systems asset management requirements," March 2017
- Speaker, “Bid Alternates and Sole Source,” Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contractors in Ohio, May 2017
- Speaker, “Beginning a Project – Decision Points,” Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, November 2016
- Author, "Ohio case protects political subdivisions’ general immunity when facing claims for purely economic damages," November 2016
- Author, "The proper allocation of revenues from a county sewer district: Funding the county sanitary engineering department," August 2016
- Author, "The use of drones in the construction project marketplace," May 2016
- Author, "Ohio appellate court upholds waiver of claims clauses," May 2016
- Speaker, "Bid Alternates and Sole Source," Selecting Project Delivery Methods & Bidding Public Construction Contracts in Ohio, May 2016
- Author, "Owner’s recourse for certain defective contractor-furnished equipment," March 2016
- Northwestern University (J.D., 2015); Individual Comment Editor for the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology
- Miami University (B.A., magna cum laude, psychology); one of nine students in the College of Arts and Sciences to receive a Dean’s Scholar Award