Rachael N. Mains
Rachael Mains is a government relations attorney with professional experience working in Ohio legislative and administrative environments. She collaborates with clients to monitor laws and regulations and represents their interests before legal and regulatory decision-makers.
Rachael is closely familiar with the legislative process and knows what it takes to effectively communicate with legislators and their staffs. She utilizes her unique experiences from the legislative and the executive branches to analyze and conclude the practical implications of pending legislation.
Having worked side-by-side with area legislators and commissioners, Rachael has participated in several important statewide initiatives. In her role as an aide to the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio (PUCO) commissioner, she was involved in the drafting and launch of “PowerForward: A Roadmap to Ohio’s Electricity Future,” PUCO’s grid modernization effort. Rachael collaborated with others to creatively determine solutions for regulatory issues. Likewise, she has served as a senior legislative aide, legislative aide and an office page within the Ohio Senate, performing research and analysis of pending legislation. Additionally, in her Senate roles, Rachael assisted in the drafting and amending of legislation.
Rachael regularly represents the Ohio Hospital Association in electric cases before the PUCO and advises hospitals regarding ratemaking proceedings, energy efficiency, energy procurement, distributed energy resource opportunities and all PUCO regulatory matters that potentially impact the unique needs of health care providers.
Campaign finance compliance
Provide guidance to a variety of clients related to forming and operating their PACs, hosting candidate events, ballot issue activity or independent election activity.
Actively represent more than 30 clients before the Ohio General Assembly, state agencies and local government entities. Longtime clients include the Association of Ohio Life Insurance Companies, the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association, the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants and Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council.
Actively assist several insurance companies, including multiple Fortune 500 companies, with questions regarding Ohio Department of Insurance regulations. Combining our knowledge of both the State Department and appurtenant regulations with an appreciation for those federal entities moving into the insurance regulatory space, we represent these companies in negotiations, rate and product filings, and investigations.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Red Shoes Society - Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Ohio
- Member, Class of 2020, Jo Ann Davidson Ohio Leadership Institute
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-author, "NAIC Working Group Completing A Model “‘Suitability In Annuity Transactions Regulation’” Update, Which Stops Short Of Imposing A DOL-Style “‘Fiduciary Obligation’” For Insurance Agents Selling Annuities," American Bar Association Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter, Winter 2021
- Speaker, "Protecting Your Financial Base: The Significance of Tax Valuation Complaints and Appeals," Bricker Wednesday Webinar, January 2021
- Speaker, "Legislative & Regulatory Overview," Bricker & Eckler's Ohio Insurance Cybersecurity Seminar, January 2020
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2019
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Member, Ohio Women in Government (OWIG)
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Capital University Law School (J.D.), 2019; Dean’s List
- Wittenberg University (B.A. in Political Science), 2015