Robert T. Castor
Bob Castor focuses on commercial finance and general corporate representation. A large portion of his practice involves the representation of financial institutions in commercial lending and real estate transactions, including asset-based credit facilities, loan syndications, real estate secured facilities and general middle-market commercial lending transactions. Bob has developed several niche areas of finance expertise, including solar finance, large quick-service restaurant franchisee finance and tax credit finance.
Bob also has a significant focus on commercial real estate, representing lenders and developers in connection with construction and permanent loans, state and federal historic tax credit projects, and general commercial real estate lending transactions. In addition, Bob represents a number of prominent real estate developers in complex acquisition, development and financing matters. He has closed deals involving a wide variety of properties, including hotel, apartment, condominium, amusement park, golf course, office, retail, marina and other commercial properties.
Bob's practice also includes representing small businesses, family offices and other high net worth individuals and investors in general corporate matters, including mergers and acquisitions, private placements and investments, joint venture structuring and entity formation matters.
"Bob is always quick to respond to an inquiry and is concise and effective in his communication. He understands our priorities and is thoughtful in ensuring they are addressed in negotiations."
"Robert Castor is very accessible, quickly responsive and easy to work with."
"Clients praise his 'great ability as an adviser,' adding: 'He is positive, knowledgeable, experienced, professional and responsive.'"
Complex multi-bank syndication transaction
Represented an administrative agent in a $150 million syndication transaction involving an acquisition line of credit and term credit facilities for a borrower in high-growth mode and sponsored by a global private equity firm.
Multi-state marina sale
Represent client in $80 million sale of five marina properties in multiple states, including advising on tax structuring, real estate, corporate and environmental issues.
Structured line of credit for acquisition deals
Represented a client in obtaining a $23 million structured line of credit in order to add more leverage into acquisition deals and access cheaper capital.
Financing for the renovation of hotel properties
Represented administrative agent in $30 million financing the construction and renovation of private equity sponsored hotels in St. Louis, MO. The transaction involved complicated co-lender negotiations as well as negotiations with a leveraged equity lender.
Acquisition of multiple restaurant franchise locations
Represented a bank in $25 million financing of the acquisition of 16 restaurant franchise locations by a new franchisee.
Project financing and business acquisition
Represented a client in the $15 million acquisition of manufacturing business and related capital-raise issues and project financing. In addition to acquisition matters, representation included formation of joint venture and private placement, negotiation of entity documents, and counsel on project financing with senior lender.
Construction finance for a new multi-family housing project
Represented a client as the borrower in a syndicated construction loan transaction for construction of a new multi-family housing and mixed-use development project.
Construction loan for a mixed-use development project
Represented a borrower in an office construction loan for a flagship office building in a new mixed-use development project.
Restructuring of a mezzanine loan
Represented a private investment company in restructuring an $18 million mezzanine loan to a troubled distribution company.
$40 million franchise financing
Represented a lender in the documentation of financing of over 60 franchised restaurant properties located throughout the United States. The transaction included financing for existing properties and delayed draw financing for acquisition, construction and renovation of future properties.
Professional & Community Activities
- Graduate, Leadership Columbus Class of 2013
- Member of Board of Directors, Vista Community Church, January 2019-present
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Real Estate Experts Discuss the Vibrant Columbus Market," Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Columbus, February 2020
- Moderator, "Real Estate: How Buyers and Developers are Capitalizing Deals Today," Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Columbus, April 2018
- Speaker, "Receivership Update", Central Ohio NAIOP, March 2013
- Speaker, "Receiver’s Sales 101", Central Ohio NAIOP, March 2011
- Speaker, "Estoppel Certificates/Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements," NBI Commercial Real Estate: Drafting Leases, Worthington OH, October 2008
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Columbus Bar Association (Real Estate Committee)
- Member, American Bar Association (Section of Business Law, Commercial Financial Services Committee, and Uniform Commercial Code Committee)
Member, Ohio State Bar Association (Real Estate Committee); Secretary/Treasurer, Young Lawyers Section 2007-2010
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Banking and Finance Law; Commercial Transactions / UCC Law), 2016–2021
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Banking & Finance with a Band 3 ranking, 2018–2020; Up and Coming Ranking, 2016–2017
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Transactions/UCC Law), 2019
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Banking; Real Estate: Business), 2019–2020
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Banking; Real Estate: Business), 2012–2018
- Duke University (B.A., political science, 2004)
- Captain, Men's Varsity Golf Team, Duke University
The Ohio State University (J.D., cum laude, 2007)
- Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, The Ohio State University
- Best Overall Award, Lawrence Herman Moot Court Competition
- Member of Championship Team, ABA Regional Moot Court Competition
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016