Robert T. Castor
Bob Castor focuses on the representation of financial institutions and other non-bank creditors in commercial lending and structured finance transactions, including asset-based credit facilities, second lien and mezzanine facilities, loan syndications, real estate secured facilities and general commercial lending transactions.
Bob also has a significant focus on commercial real estate lending, representing lenders and developers in connection with construction and permanent loans, state and federal historic tax credit projects, and general commercial real estate lending transactions. Bob has closed deals involving a wide variety of properties, including hotel, apartment, condominium, amusement park, golf course, office, retail and other commercial properties.
Bob's practice also includes representing creditors in a wide variety of loan restructuring and workout matters, with an emphasis on forbearance documentation and commercial foreclosure, receivership, bankruptcy and other insolvency-related litigation. Bob additionally represents a number of receivers and has been involved in a number of high-profile receiver's sales of real property.
"Bob is always quick to respond to an inquiry and is concise and effective in his communication. He understands our priorities and is thoughtful in ensuring they are addressed in negotiations."
"Robert Castor is very accessible, quickly responsive and easy to work with."
"Clients praise his 'great ability as an adviser,' adding: 'He is positive, knowledgeable, experienced, professional and responsive.'"
$40 million franchise financing
Represented a lender in the documentation of financing of over 60 franchised restaurant properties located throughout the United States. The transaction included financing for existing properties and delayed draw financing for acquisition, construction and renovation of future properties.
Recapitalization of FinTech borrower
Represented a privately held borrower in the FinTech space to recapitalize the company, which included amending and restructuring its $40 million corporate credit facility, its $250 million warehouse facility, and multiple warrants for various classes of both common and preferred equity. In connection with the
recapitalization, the firm also restructured the employee equity plan. The lender was a New York-based private equity firm.
Financing of ambulatory surgery center and medical office building
Represented a national bank in connection with the $20+ million construction financing of a new medical facility in the Columbus area.
Historic tax credit rehabilitation of Short North office and retail space
Represented a bank in connection with the construction and historic tax credit financing of a retail and office space in Columbus’ Short North district.
Electric generation plant
Assisted in closing in excess of $500 million of debt and equity financing for the construction of an Ohio-based 800 MW electric generation plant on behalf of an energy company. This transaction involved dozens of
parties includinglenders, equity investors, land sellers, railroads, gas pipeline companies, governmental entities, a title insurer and others.
Commercial foreclosure in multistate federal court case
Served as lead counsel to a secured lender on a federal court receivership case involving a broad range of issues across multiple states.
Revolving line of credit loan for housing development
Represented a lender in connection with a $7.5 million revolving line of credit loan for the acquisition and construction of a single family residential development.
Professional & Community Activities
- Graduate, Leadership Columbus Class of 2013
- Small Group Leader and Coordinator, Vista Community Church, January 2007-present
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Real Estate Experts Discuss the Vibrant Columbus Market," Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Columbus, February 2020
- Moderator, "Real Estate: How Buyers and Developers are Capitalizing Deals Today," Association for Corporate Growth (ACG) Columbus, April 2018
- Speaker, "Receivership Update", Central Ohio NAIOP, March 2013
- Speaker, "Receiver’s Sales 101", Central Ohio NAIOP, March 2011
- Speaker, "Estoppel Certificates/Subordination, Non-Disturbance and Attornment Agreements," NBI Commercial Real Estate: Drafting Leases, Worthington OH, October 2008
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Columbus Bar Association (Real Estate Committee)
- Member, American Bar Association (Section of Business Law, Commercial Financial Services Committee, and Uniform Commercial Code Committee)
Member, Ohio State Bar Association (Real Estate Committee); Secretary/Treasurer, Young Lawyers Section 2007-2010
Awards & Recognition
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Banking & Finance with a Band 3 ranking, 2018–2020; Up and Coming Ranking, 2016–2017
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Transactions/UCC Law), 2019
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Banking and Finance Law; Commercial Transactions / UCC Law), 2016–2020
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Banking; Real Estate: Business), 2019–2020
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Banking; Real Estate: Business), 2012–2018
- Duke University (B.A., political science, 2004); Captain, Men's Varsity Golf Team
The Ohio State University (J.D., cum laude, 2007); Managing Editor, Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law; Member of Championship Team, ABA Regional Moot Court Competition; Best Overall Award, Lawrence Herman Moot Court Competition
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016