Robert T. Kent
Rob Kent is a higher education attorney with experience navigating civil rights, Title IX and other compliance issues on behalf of colleges and universities. He is skilled in managing student and staff complaints, overseeing and conducting investigations fairly and efficiently, and working with both internal and external parties to be sure investigators and administrators are both accountable and transparent.
Rob collaborates with university leaders to administer awareness regarding services and resources; build channels of communication within the university for better collaboration with support services, human resources and police; and manage local, state and national media inquiries. Additionally, he assists with training and education among students and staff and provides guidance on overall strategy regarding campus-related compliance.
Rob is a former in-house attorney with Michigan State University, where he effectively managed a variety of legal matters. Most recently, he served in the university’s Office for Civil Rights and Title IX Education and Compliance, leading a new major administrative unit, instituting new programs and services, growing the employee team, interpreting and implementing changing regulations, and managing an unprecedented complaint volume under constant scrutiny.
Professional & Community Activities
- Wayne State University Law School Alumni Association (Board of Directors, 2008–2014; President, 2012–2014)
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2014–present
- Member, Big 10 Title IX Coordinators and Michigan Association of State Universities Title IX Coordinators, 2018–2020
Presentations & Published Works
- Author, “Understanding the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act, Then and Now,” Journal of College and University Law, Vol. 44:2.1, 2019
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Michigan, 2008
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2009
- Admitted, United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan, 2014
- Admitted, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2012
- Admitted, United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2011
- Rob is not currently licensed in Ohio but is seeking approval to practice pending admission.
Awards & Recognition
- Rising Star, Michigan Super Lawyers, 2012–2013
- Wayne State University Law School (J.D.), 2008; Executive Board Member, Student Bar Association Board of Governors; Small Business Enterprises and Nonprofit Corporations Clinic
- Michigan State University, (B.A. in General Business Administration/Pre-Law), 2004; Order of Omega Honors Scholar; Executive Board Member, Sigma Pi Fraternity, Honors Business Study Abroad Program, Mérida, Mexico