Robert F. McCarthy
Rob McCarthy is a public finance attorney. He serves as bond counsel on structured revenue financings for development projects, including bonds issued by port authorities, new community authorities, and the State of Ohio and its agencies. Rob also represents school districts and other public entities on general obligation financings.
In addition to his work as bond counsel, Rob works with public and private clients to establish and manage economic development programs, including joint economic development districts (JEDDs), new community authorities (NCAs), and tax increment financing (TIF). He also negotiates economic development incentives on behalf of school districts and other public and private parties.
Earlier in his career, Rob served as a law clerk to Justice Yvette McGee Brown on the Supreme Court of Ohio and as an assistant attorney general in the administration of Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray.
Rob is a member of Bricker & Eckler’s Recruiting Committee and is a recent graduate of the firm’s leadership development program.
OFCC K-12 Project on State University Campus
Served as counsel for a recently consolidated school district for a $42 million K-12 OFCC (state) co-funded project on the campus of a state university, with the local share bonds sold to the USDA.
International manufacturing facility in central Ohio
Retained by an Italian-based company to provide all legal services in the construction and development of a 1.4 million-square-foot manufacturing facility in central Ohio. One of the main aspects of the site selection involved the environmental conditions of the site and environmental permitting issues in the project’s development. In this engagement, the firm assisted with various real estate, environmental and tax matters, including the negotiation of a variety of easements. The PUCO has approved energy efficiency rebates for the company’s combined heat and power systems which will result in significant cost savings and operational benefits.
$218 million State of Ohio bond issuance
Served as bond counsel for the issuance of over $218 million in Major New State Infrastructure Project Revenue Bonds. Responsibilities included drafting documents to reflect the understanding of the parties, as well as the tax analysis necessary with respect to the use of proceeds. As bond counsel, we rendered our approving opinion as to the authorization and valid issuance of the bonds and their status of being exempt from federal income taxation.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Board of Trustees of the Friends of the Columbus Metropolitan Library
- Member, NAIOP Central Ohio Chapter
- Vice chair and member of Governance Committee, Capital Crossroads Special Improvement District
- Member, Education Committee, Ohio Government Finance Officers Association
- Secretary, Bridge Park New Community Authority
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, "Downtown Redevelopment Tools: Hot Topics in Municipal Economic Development," OMAA/OML Webinar, May 2019
- Presenter, "What Your Bond Finance Team Worries About," CDFA PFM Capital Markets Webinar Series, May 2019
- Presenter, "Economic Development: Responsible Growth in Your Community," Ohio Township Association Law Directors' Group, August 2018
- Presenter, "Project Finance and Incentives Options," Ohio Municipal League Summer Regional Conference Series, June 2018
- Presenter, "Economic Development Incentives - Lessons Learned," 2017 OSBA Capital Conference, November 2017
- Presenter, "JEDDs and Other Economic Development Tools," Ohio Association of Public Treasurers Annual Fall Conference, October 2017
- Presenter, "Advanced Economic Development," Ohio Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), Annual Conference, September 2017
- Presenter, "Economic Development Fundamentals," Ohio Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA), Annual Conference, September 2017
- Presenter, "County Role in Economic Development: Update on Recent Legal Trends," Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association Summer Workshop, June 2017
- Presenter, "Legislative Update - 2017: Update and a Look Forward," Ohio Economic Development Association 360: State Economic Development Briefing, May 2017
- Presenter, "Economic Development Ethics," Ohio Economic Development Association 2017 Ohio Basic Economic Development Course, April 2017
- Presenter, "Encouraging Cooperative Development Initiatives through JEDDs," Ohio Municipal League webinar, January 2017
- Presenter, "Downtown Redevelopment Districts and Innovation Districts: A New Economic Development Tool,” City of Logan/Hocking County Forum on Downtown Revitalization, January 2017
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Public Finance Law), 2020-2021
- The Ohio State University (J.D., 2008); Articles Editor, Ohio State Law Journal; recipient, Moritz Merit Scholarship
- Harvard University (B.A. with honors, 2002); President, Institute of Politics (a student center and memorial to President John F. Kennedy)
Lame duck results in energy-efficiency deductions for public buildings and airport development districtsMore
Bricker Listed Among Top Bond Counsel As Ohio Leads Midwest in Bond Volume
Bricker & Eckler was listed among the top Midwestern bond counsel firms that helped bond issuers sell $71.5 billion of municipal bonds in 2019, a 19% year-over-year increase, according to a February 25, 2020, article by the Bond Buyer.More Feb 27, 2020
McCarthy enlisted by school district to assist with new building financing options
Public finance and economic development attorney Rob McCarthy has partnered with the Rootstown School Board to assist in financing a new school building. In a complex matter, McCarthy, who has "handled more than 15 JEDD agreements," is working with both the district and the township to create a collaborative solution. While a school district's participation in a JEDD is "rare," the superintendent and board members are soliciting community input and are weighing several financing options. http://www.record-courier.com/news/20180124/rootstown-school-board-moving-is-not-optionMore Jan 25, 2018
Chris Schmenk and Rob McCarthy educate Chillicothe and Green Township on JEDDs
In their consideration of forming a Joint Economic Development District (JEDD), officials from the City of Chillicothe and Green Township recently heard from Bricker public finance attorneys, Chris Schmenk and Rob McCarthy.More Sep 17, 2015