Stephen R. Kleinman
He also advises hospice, long-term care providers and developmental disability service providers regarding regulatory and day-to-day operational issues.
"Stephen Kleinman is noted for his experience advising on regulatory matters and frequently acts for hospitals, physicians and long-term care providers."
"Stephen Kleinman works with hospital and physician leadership. He addresses a broad array of medical staff, credentialing, peer review and quality improvement issues. He is described as 'a very versatile lawyer and a trusted partner.'"
Developmental disabilities service provider member substitution
Assisted with transitioning all assets of a not-for-profit developmental disability service provider to another not-for-profit developmental disability service provider, forming one of the largest developmental disabilities service providers in Ohio in terms of revenue and consumers served.
Medical staff governing documents
Worked closely with in-house counsel and medical staff leadership of individual hospitals and multi-hospital systems to conduct reviews of medical staff governing bylaws, policies and procedures for compliance with Medicare conditions of participation and applicable law and private accreditation standards (i.e., TJC, HFAP, DNV/NIAHO) making recommendations for standardization and industry best practices. Additionally, the team assisted with the implementation of new policies and evaluated peer review policies for effective processes, making recommendations for updates and revisions.
Proper payment claim methodology
Worked with an operator of long-term acute care hospitals to resolve a dispute with an insurance carrier regarding Medicare and Medicaid plan payments. We identified the source of payment discrepancies, corrected prior incorrect billings and put appropriate measures in place to prevent future occurrences.
Hospital system arbitration
Represented a hospital system in multiple arbitration proceedings in a dispute with national payor relative to the implementation of sequestration cuts imposed following passage of the budget deficit reduction act.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Board of Directors, Columbus Speech & Hearing Center
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association, Medical Staff Peer Review and Credentialing Practice Group
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Things that Scare Us About Your Medical Staff Bylaws," 43rd NAMSS Educational Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, "Balancing the Quality Roles of the Medical Staff and the Service Lines," 43rd NAMSS Educational Conference, October 2019
- Speaker, "Counsel's Advice: 10 Words to Remove from Your Vocabulary," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Speaker, "Organizational Crisis: Managing Through a New Year's Eve Nightmare," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2019
- Co-author, "Sharing Credentialing, Privileging and Peer Review Information Within Systems," AHLA MedStaff News, April 2019
- Speaker, "Enduring the Journey of Physician Dispute Resolution," AHLA Physicians and Hospitals Law Institute, February 2019
- Speaker, "You Just Can’t Make This Stuff Up: Strange Credentialing Scenarios,” 41st NAMSS Educational Conference, October 2017
- Speaker, "Telemedicine: Who, What & Why," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "Things that Scare Us in your Medical Staff Bylaws," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "What to Tell? State Reporting Obligations for Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2017
- Speaker, "Advanced Practice Providers: A Look at Trends Regarding Scope of Practice," QMCG Webinar, June 9, 2015
- Speaker, "A Second Look At Corrective Action – Understanding Available Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 9, 2015
- Speaker, "CMS CoPs: Unified Medical Staffs? Optometrist Appointments? Lots of Options," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 8, 2015
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 1995
- Admitted, State of North Carolina
- Admitted, State of West Virginia
- Admitted, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
- Member, West Virginia State Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2010–2020
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law; Litigation - Health Care), 2013–2020
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Health Care with a Band 3 ranking, 2017–2020
- Listed, Top 50 Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2015–2016, 2019
- Listed, Top 100 Ohio, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2016
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University (J.D.), 1995
- Cornell University (B.S.), 1991
COVID-19 recovery: Legal considerations for hospitals and health systems planning for post-pandemic operationsMore
COVID-19 Update: Extending Medical Staff appointment/privilege periods during the coronavirus outbreakMore
PA appellate court holds that physician credentialing file is not protected by the state peer review privilegeMore
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016