Sue W. Yount
Sue Yount's practice involves nearly all aspects of education law, including employment, discrimination, labor relations, collective bargaining, grievance arbitration, unfair labor practice charges, school finance, special education, student discipline, private school matters and school-age daycare matters. She has provided representation to school districts throughout the state of Ohio in nearly all areas of education law and has served as counsel in several precedent-setting cases.
Sue negotiates public school district collective bargaining agreements for both teaching and non-teaching units, and is a presenter at various education law seminars, including OSBA, BASA, OALSS, and state support team programs, daycare provider workshops, and school in-service programs.
Public school funding prosecution
Served as a member of the trial team that prosecuted four successful constitutional challenges to Ohio's system of funding public schools on behalf of over 500 school districts, resulting in substantial additional funding for school facilities.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Member, National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
Presentations & Published Works
- Author, Employment Contracts Reference Manual, a publication for school administrators, ©1988, 1990, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005
- Author, "Court Reinforces Back Wages for Tutors," Ohio School Boards Association Journal, February 1992
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law), 2023
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law), 2017–2023
- Recipient, President's Award, Buckeye Association of School Administrators, 2001
- Recipient, 40 Under 40 Award, Business First, 1999
- Recipient, Ohio Association of Local School Superintendents' Friends of Education Award, 1997
- Recipient, Columbus Bar Association's Community Service Award for attorneys under age 36, 1990
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., summa cum laude); Member, Order of the Coif; Member, Ohio State Law Journal
- Ohio University (B.B.A., summa cum laude, top business graduate)
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016