Victoria Flinn McCurdy
Victoria Flinn McCurdy is a partner with a national litigation practice and represents clients in health care industry litigation, insurance industry litigation, and other complex commercial litigation matters. Her practice also includes medical negligence defense and fiduciary litigation. In addition to trial work, Victoria maintains an active appellate practice in both state and federal courts and has successfully argued before a number of Ohio courts of appeals.
Victoria has represented clients in a number of disputes in state and federal courts across the United States, including Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Wisconsin.
Her case work spans all phases of litigation, including written discovery, depositions, dispositive motions, trial and appeals, as well as settlement negotiations.
Prior to joining Bricker & Eckler, Victoria was a legal intern in the Commercial Litigation Branch, Civil Frauds Section, of the United States Department of Justice in Washington, D.C., and in the Office of the District Attorney General in Nashville, Tennessee.
Price transparency law victory
Earned a substantial victory on behalf of multiple health care clients and a statewide association of hospitals after the court rendered a decision declaring a price transparency law unconstitutional. This final victory came over three years after the court granted a temporary restraining order against the enforcement of the law, allowing our clients to litigate its merit.
Dismantling of a $42 million jury verdict
Successfully argued before the Ohio Supreme Court for reversal of $42 million verdict and establishing the law in Ohio as to the application of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing in contracts.
System-wide electronic medical record system
Assisted a large health system with the system-wide implementation of an electronic health records (EHR) system, ensuring legal and regulatory compliance, HIPAA security and continuity of patient care.
Death benefit value of an annuity claims
Defended a national insurance carrier against claims concerning the death benefit value of an annuity in Michigan state court.
Hospital system litigation
Obtained a complete defense verdict for a hospital system, resolving a complicated multi-party seven-year dispute.
Agent lawsuits in 25 states
Represented a national insurance carrier in response to agent lawsuits in over 25 states.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Young Professionals Advisory Council (YPAC) Steering Committee; Make-A-Wish of Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana
- Former Member, Pleasure Guild, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, benefiting the Hospital’s Hospice and Palliative Care Program
- Member, Bricker & Eckler’s Women in Networking Group benefiting local nonprofit organizations: Gladden Community House, Amethyst, Inc., Center for Healthy Families, Flying Horse Farms, Huckleberry House, and Dress for Success
- Volunteer, various local high school and college mock trial and moot court competitions
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "Hot Topics and Recent Trends in Litigation Against Ohio Hospitals," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "Price Transparency and Surprise Billing: The Latest Updates," Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, June 2021
- Speaker, "How the Menorah Park Decision Changes How Hospitals Disclose Patient Information," OSHRM/SOHA Spring Conference, March 2021
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Vice-Chair, the American Bar Association’s Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Section (TIPS), Business Litigation Committee
- Vice-Chair, TIPS Medicine and Law Committee
- Vice-Chair, TIPS Life Insurance Committee
- Member, TIPS Leadership Academy, Class of 2014-2015
- Member, Ohio Women’s Bar Foundation Leadership Institute, Class of 2014-2015
- Member, federal, state, and local bar associations
- Member, Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys
- Member, Columbus Bar Association Bar Admissions Committee
- Admitted, State of Ohio; Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals; United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio
Awards & Recognition
- Member, Leadership Columbus, Class of 2019
- George Washington University (J.D., 2009); Mock Trial Board
- Vanderbilt University (B.A., Psychology Research with Honors Program, magna cum laude, 2006)
Nalls and Flinn McCurdy to participate in Leadership Dayton and Leadership Columbus programs, respectively
Bricker attorneys Chris Nalls, Dayton, and Victoria Flinn McCurdy, Columbus, were each recently selected to participate in their cities' most highly-regarded leadership programs.More Aug 20, 2018