A former member of the Ohio State University Ski & Snowboard Team, Chris enjoys hitting the slopes of Ohio and beyond. He counts his experience skiing Vail, Colorado, as one of his all-time favorites.
Chris McCloskey is chair of Bricker & Eckler's Public Sector industry group and is a partner in the Construction Law group. He focuses his practice on construction-related contracting and disputes, as well as general business and litigation. He is experienced in researching and drafting motions for construction lawsuits, preparing and reviewing construction contracts, construction claims, change orders, purchase orders, project analysis, mechanic's liens, bid strategy and project coordination. He represents school districts with all facets of their capital projects with the Ohio Facilities Construction Commission. Chris is a former staff attorney to Judge Nodine Miller of the Franklin County Court of Common Pleas, where he drafted legal opinions and managed the court's civil docket. In addition, he worked as a district engineer for Economy Forms Company, designing steel systems to form concrete structures.
"As a partner in our construction group and our public sector industry group leader, Chris has a deep knowledge of the law and our clients’ needs. He is forward-thinking and proactive in both his practice and in his leadership role."
Private developer contracts
Prepared architect, contractor and design-builder agreements for private developer.
Mechanic's liens statutory process and claims
Represented school district in administration of statutory process relating to mechanic’s liens and addressed mechanics’ lien claims and related law suits for K-12 school projects.
Faulty roof construction
Successfully represented a library in a lawsuit against six companies responsible for the faulty design and construction of the heavy timber frame roof of the library with damages estimated at $1.8 million.
School district bus warranty
Represented a K-12 school district regarding school bus warranty issues.
Waiver of competitive bidding
Prepared resolutions and related documents for projects deemed to be of urgent necessity, including fire alarm and HVAC renovation projects for a K-12 school district.
Represented a school district client to address defective work.
Correction of masonry issues
Served as construction counsel to a school district for its new K-12 school building, constructed through the Ohio School Facilities Commission’s Classroom Facilities Assistance Program. Masonry issues were identified in the completed building, and we assisted the district in determining its cause and developing a plan to correct the defect.
$50 million school district capital improvement program
Assisted a school district with procurement and construction issues related to a $50 million district-wide capital improvement program, which included renovations and additions to all existing school buildings.
Procurement and construction counsel
Provided procurement and construction counsel services to a city school district throughout phased additions and renovations to an existing school building, as well as a district-wide master planning and programming process that identified facility needs throughout the district and defined a plan for future improvements.
Construction and procurement assistance
Worked with a local school district on construction and other procurement matters, providing assistance with selection of project teams, preparing professional agreements and contract documents, and working through project issues.
Professional & Community Activities
- Class of 2012, The Tunnell Leadership Development Program
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, “Real Property Issues for Schools,” BASA School Facilities Conference, March 2016
- Speaker, “Bidding, Purchasing and Contracting,” Ohio Municipal League Newly Elected Counsel Seminar, February 2016
- Speaker, “Specific Claims – Lien & Bond Claims and Errors & Omissions,” Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, November 2015
- Speaker, “Evaluating and Documenting the Bid Review Process, Bidder Protests and Litigation,” Selecting Project Delivery Models and Bidding for Public Construction Contracts in Ohio, May 2015
- Speaker, "School Construction Issues and Claims," BASA School Facilities and Safety Conference, March 2015
- Speaker, "Third Party Claims – Mechanic's Liens; and Owner Claims: Addressing Defective Work," Top Gun Construction Claims Seminar, November 2014
- Speaker, "Payment and Performance Surety Bonds in Construction Projects: Perspectives of Owners, Contractors and Sureties," Strafford Publications Webinar, August 2014
- Speaker, "Evaluating and Documenting the Bid Review Process, Bidder Protests and Litigation," Selecting Project Delivery Models and Bidding for Public Construction Contracts in Ohio, May 2014
- Speaker, “Financing and Bonding Issues for Contractors,” Builder’s Exchange of Central Ohio, annually in November
- Speaker, “Ethics/Professional Responsibility,” Capital University, annually in April
- Speaker, “Contracting 101,” Builder’s Exchange of Central Ohio, annually in January
- Author, "Lien on Me," Columbus Bar Association Bar Briefs
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2000
- Admitted, State of Florida, 2002
- Admitted, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio, 2002
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Florida Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law), 2018–2021
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Construction with a Band 4 ranking, 2015–2016
- Capital University (J.D.) 2000; Staff member and executive research editor, Capital University Law Review; Member, Order of the Curia
- The Ohio State University (B.S. in Civil Engineering), 1996