Christopher N. Slagle
Chris Slagle is Partner In Charge of Bricker & Eckler's Marietta office, and chair of the firm's Government Relations group. He practices in the areas of government relations; real estate, including land use, development and zoning; banking law and financial services; transportation and logistics; consumer finance, and mortgage banking. Chris is also a member of the firm's Shale Task Force practice as well as the Southeast Ohio team.
His government relations work includes representing political parties, candidates, statewide ballot committees, corporations and businesses, and political action committees in all aspects of election law issues and campaign finance compliance. He also advocates for them before the Ohio Election Commission, boards of elections, and in litigation in state and federal courts. Chris represents and lobbies for various trade associations, businesses and corporate entities before the Ohio General Assembly.
In real estate, Chris represents businesses, developers and political subdivisions in complex zoning, land use, annexation and land development issues, and appears before planning, development and zoning commissions in zoning, variance, annexation and related public service matters. He also represents wireless communications carriers in zoning matters and public hearings, including negotiations with law directors, city attorneys, county prosecutors and other public officials.
Chris represents banks, credit unions and other financial institutions in various regulatory and compliance matters, as well as mortgage banks, lenders and consumer finance organizations in licensure, regulatory and compliance issues. He also represents transportation and trucking companies and logistics operators in regulatory and compliance issues.
Chris is a former spokesman, speechwriter and federal policy liaison for the former Ohio Attorney General and Ohio Auditor of State Betty D. Montgomery; senior staff member and Director of Communications for Ohio Congressman Paul E. Gillmor; legislative aide for former Ohio State Senator Karen L. Gillmor; and district representative for former Ohio Congressman Frank A. Cremeans.
Unanimous ruling against controversial ballot issue
Represented the Ohio Renal Association and defended against a controversial ballot issue related to the provision of dialysis services, receiving a favorable 7-0 ruling from the Ohio Supreme Court. The petitioners, who represented out-of-state interests, collected signatures to place an industry-altering price control measure in the form of an amendment to the Ohio Constitution on the November 2018 ballot. However, using state-of-the-art technology built by the firm, as well as the experience of numerous attorneys, Bricker's legal team proved that the petitioners violated Ohio law, disqualifying the issue from voter consideration. From reviewing ballots, analyzing petition signatures and serving as county counsel with local boards of elections to researching and analyzing the applicable laws and representing the client before the Court, more than 80 Bricker team members played a role in this substantial victory.
Actively represent more than 30 clients before the Ohio General Assembly, state agencies and local government entities. Longtime clients include the Association of Ohio Life Insurance Companies, the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association, the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants and Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council.
Assisted a client in understanding state procurement, bid protests and contract requirements.
API government affairs and lobbying activities
Represent API-Ohio, a state affiliate office of the American Petroleum Institute in governmental affairs and lobbying activities before the Ohio General Assembly, the Governor’s Office and related statewide executive agencies. The firm has participated in high-profile and successful lobbying efforts regarding proposed legislative changes to the oil and gas severance tax and other oil and gas statutes in Ohio. In addition, we played an active role in numerous rule-makings before the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, including the horizontal well-site construction rules and emergency/incident notification rules. The firm has also been involved in negotiating various rule packages before Ohio EPA, the Ohio Department of Commerce and the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio relating to incident notifications, air emissions from compressors and other facilities, and call before you dig procedures.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Board of Trustees and Executive Committee, The Breathing Association
- Board member and Public Policy Committee chair, Children's Hunger Alliance
- Member, Transportation Lawyers Association
- Member, Ethics Committee, Ohio Lobbying Association
- Member, Republican National Lawyers Association, Ohio Chapter
Presentations & Published Works
- Speaker, "State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Seminar, July 11, 2017
- Speaker, "In-House Counsel Panel Discussion," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Seminar, November 5, 2015
- Speaker, "Surprises in the 2016-2017 State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 23, 2015
- Speaker, "Mid-Biennium Budget Review" and "Lobbying 101: Why Effective Advocacy Matters," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 22, 2014
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, American Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Columbus Bar Association
- Admitted, State of Ohio; United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio; United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Administrative / Regulatory Law; Government Relations Practice), 2018–2020
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2009, 2012–2013
- Capital University Law School (J.D., magna cum laude, 2004); Order of the Curia; Order of the Barristers; Associate Editor, Capital University Law Review; Moot Court Board; Winner of the 2002 Tulane University Law School National Moot Court Competition
- Miami University (B.A., 1995)
DeWine announces new counties with mandatory mask requirement; plans for colleges and universities to reopen; education COVID plan implementation fundingMore
DeWine announces new county-specific mask requirements, general business and social distancing and industry specific orders extendedMore
Bricker wins an unprecedented second-consecutive Relativity Innovation award
Bricker took home the 2018 Relativity Award for “Best Law Firm or Corporation Innovation” at this year’s Relativity Fest e-discovery conference. Bricker dazzled the legal tech community – and the judges – with its Petition Analyzer solution.More Oct 4, 2018
Ohio Supreme Court unanimously rules in favor of Bricker client and against ballot issue
Representing the Ohio Renal Association and defending against a controversial ballot issue related to the provision of dialysis services, Bricker & Eckler recently received a favorable 7-0 ruling from the Ohio Supreme Court.More Aug 14, 2018