Greg is an avid cyclist and enjoys commuting to work when possible. He has participated in a handful of charity rides including two 50-milers for Pelotonia and Pedal with Pete for Cerebral Palsy. He’s currently rebuilding a mountain bike and can’t decide if it’s cathartic or maddening.
Greg Lestini focuses his practice on the connection between law and public policy, utilizing years of experience in state and local government. He advocates for trade associations, private business and not-for-profit interests before the Federal Government, Ohio legislature, state agencies and regulatory bodies. Greg also serves on Bricker & Eckler’s Southeast Ohio task force.
Greg advises clients on complex regulatory and legislative issues in the insurance, health care, financial services and public sector industries. He also lobbies state, local and federal elected officials on behalf of those clients. His counsel includes strategic planning, coalition building, legal analysis and legislative drafting advice.
He is active in social media and maintains his own twitter account. Greg also contributes regularly to updates on legal and business developments in the insurance space and as it relates to finance and insurance technology by public and private entities. He is active in many firm committees and organized an art show in the halls of Bricker highlighting local community artists.
Greg is a former Chief of Staff for the Ohio Senate Democratic Caucus; a Legislative Analyst for the Office of the President Pro Tem of the Columbus City Council; and a legislative aide with the Ohio Senate. Following law school, Greg also participated in Americorps' Legal Service Corps, practicing eviction defense for clients in Northwest Ohio as an attorney with Advocates for Basic Legal Equality located in Toledo.
Professional & Community Activities
- Vice-Chair, American Bar Association (ABA) - Tort Trial & Insurance Practice (TIPS)
- Associate Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC)
- Member, Advocacy Committee, YWCA Columbus
- Member, Central Ohio Greenways Board, 2015-present
- Member, Bricker & Eckler’s Southeast Ohio team
- Member, Board of Trustees, Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (Franklin County At-Large), Executive Committee
- Member, Board of Trustees, iBelieve Foundation, 2014-present, Treasurer
Presentations & Published Works
- Moderator, "Legislative & Regulatory Overview," Bricker & Eckler's Ohio Insurance Cybersecurity Seminar, September 2019
- Presenter, "2019 Legislative Update- Potential Impacts to Economic Development," I-70/75 17th Annual Economic Development Summit, May 2019
- Speaker, "Drones for Commercial Use," Ohio City/County Management Association Winter Conference, March 2019
- Co-author, "Blockchain and the Future of Insurance Regulation," Federation of Regulatory Counsel Journal, Vol. 29 Edition 3, Fall 2018
- Panelist, "IRC CLE Panel on Insurance Innovation, Technology & Distribution," ABA TIPS Midwinter CLE Symposium, January 2018
- Speaker, "State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Finance and Technology Seminar Presentation, July 11, 2017
- Speaker, "2015 Election Wrap-Up Panel," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Seminar, November 5, 2015
- Speaker, "Surprises in the 2016-2017 State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 23, 2015
- Author, "Recent Developments" (Renewable Energy, State Specific Update), American Bar Association, Section of Public Utility Communications and Transportation Law, 2011-2015
- Speaker, "Mid-Biennium Budget Review" and "Lobbying 101: Why Effective Advocacy Matters," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 22, 2014
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
Awards & Recognition
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Government Relations; Legislative & Governmental Affairs; Land Use/Zoning; Administrative Law), 2018
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2002); Moot Court Chief Justice
- The Ohio State University (B.A., political science and international peace studies, magna cum laude, 1999)
Deeply proud of his Italian heritage, Greg is a member of the Columbus Order Sons of Italy in America Lodge (OSIA #2599) and is beginning Italian lessons to help better serve clients and better order food. He is 100% Italian and his paternal Grandfather, Terzilio Lestini emigrated from Perugia, Italy when he was only 14.
Greg is the proud father of two beautiful young ladies who keep him young and make him feel old all at the same time. His greatest wish is to live long enough to be an embarrassment to both girls.
Schmenk and Lestini’s economic and community development briefing featured in Kenton, Ohio, news
Bricker attorneys Chris Schmenk and Greg Lestini recently gave a presentation to the Hardin County Chamber and Business Alliance members, civic leaders and elected officials describing economic development tools available to the community.More Jun 13, 2016
Greg Lestini quoted in Columbus Business First article about drone usage for businesses
As the business uses for drones increase, so do the legal obstacles faced by companies hoping to integrate this form of technology into their operations. As discussed in a recent Columbus Business First article (subscription required), operating a drone for either commercial or hobby purposes requires knowledge of and compliance with both federal and state regulations, although air rights is a “long-running and contentious debate.”More May 3, 2016
Bricker & Eckler creates Local Government Task Force, Online resource center
Bricker & Eckler LLP has established an online Local Government Reform resource center to assist Ohio’s counties, municipalities, townships, school districts, libraries and other public entities in navigating their options in the face of proposed local government reforms.More Mar 14, 2011
Actively assist several insurance companies, including multiple Fortune 500 companies, with questions regarding Ohio Department of Insurance regulations. Combining our knowledge of both the State Department and appurtenant regulations with an appreciation for those federal entities moving into the insurance regulatory space, we represent these companies in negotiations, rate and product filings, and investigations.
Actively represent more than 30 clients before the Ohio General Assembly, state agencies and local government entities. Longtime clients include the Association of Ohio Life Insurance Companies, the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association, the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants and Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council.
Energy generation facility counsel
Represent Apex Power Group before the Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB) for the proposed Guernsey Power Station, a 1650-megawatt, natural gas-fired energy generation facility. In 2017, the project received approval to construct and operate the facility. Our team continues to provide substantial regulatory, legislative, tax, permitting and real estate counsel. In addition, we resolved issues involving interconnection with the local transmission company and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Assisted a client in understanding state procurement, bid protests and contract requirements.
Oil and gas lease negotiation in southeastern Ohio
Formed and worked with the Southeastern Ohio Landowners Association (SEOLA) to combine the acreage of landowners in five southeastern counties in order to negotiate oil and gas leases with multiple energy companies. SEOLA blossomed into the longest-lasting and most successful landowners group in Ohio with a dozen deals closed with eight different oil and gas companies, involving approximately 70,000 acres and more than $300 million in upfront, per-acre bonus payments to SEOLA landowners.