Greg is an avid cyclist and enjoys commuting to work when possible. He has participated in a handful of charity rides including two 50-milers for Pelotonia and Pedal with Pete for Cerebral Palsy. He’s currently rebuilding a mountain bike and can’t decide if it’s cathartic or maddening.
Gregory J. Lestini
In private practice for more than 14 years, Greg Lestini utilizes his experience within multiple levels of government to help clients navigate complex legal, legislative and regulatory structures. As a member of the firm’s government relations team, he focuses on using the levers of public policy to the advantage of insurance companies, public corporations, trade associations and private businesses. Greg is Chair of the Financial Services/Insurance Industry Group. In that role he leads the strategic direction of the insurance practice and represents insurers, from small mutuals to large stock companies in a variety of corporate and regulatory matters.
Greg has served as a legislative aide in the Ohio Legislature and at Columbus City Council. In addition, he was chief of staff for the Ohio Senate Minority Caucus, helping lead strategy, talent development, public policy and other critical initiatives for the minority leader and caucus. In addition, he worked with the AmeriCorps Legal Service Corps following law school, representing low/no-income renters in eviction defense and conditions cases in Toledo and throughout northwest Ohio.
Greg is an active community member, participating on many boards throughout central and southeast Ohio. He is a member of the firm’s Racial Equity Task Force and was also responsible for reinventing a firm-hosted art show, featuring artists in recovery from and dealing with mental health and addiction challenges. Greg also regularly contributes to updates on legal and business developments in the insurance space as it relates to finance and insurance technology by public and private entities.
Known for his accessibility and responsiveness, clients can typically reach Greg after-hours, while he’s in his kitchen, practicing the guitar or building elaborate and structurally questionable Lego projects with his daughters.
"Knowledgeable and plugged in to current regulatory issues. He is also responsive, thorough and produces a quality work product."
Actively assist several insurance companies, including multiple Fortune 500 companies, with questions regarding Ohio Department of Insurance regulations. Combining our knowledge of both the State Department and appurtenant regulations with an appreciation for those federal entities moving into the insurance regulatory space, we represent these companies in negotiations, rate and product filings, and investigations.
Actively represent more than 30 clients before the Ohio General Assembly, state agencies and local government entities. Longtime clients include the Association of Ohio Life Insurance Companies, the Ohio Manufacturers’ Association, the Ohio Association of Physician Assistants and Northeast Ohio Public Energy Council.
Energy generation facility counsel
Represent Apex Power Group before the Ohio Power Siting Board (OPSB) for the proposed Guernsey Power Station, a 1650-megawatt, natural gas-fired energy generation facility. In 2017, the project received approval to construct and operate the facility. Our team continues to provide substantial regulatory, legislative, tax, permitting and real estate counsel. In addition, we resolved issues involving interconnection with the local transmission company and the Ohio Department of Natural Resources.
Assisted a client in understanding state procurement, bid protests and contract requirements.
Oil and gas lease negotiation in southeastern Ohio
Formed and worked with the Southeastern Ohio Landowners Association (SEOLA) to combine the acreage of landowners in five southeastern counties in order to negotiate oil and gas leases with multiple energy companies. SEOLA blossomed into the longest-lasting and most successful landowners group in Ohio with a dozen deals closed with eight different oil and gas companies, involving approximately 70,000 acres and more than $300 million in upfront, per-acre bonus payments to SEOLA landowners.
Professional & Community Activities
- Immediate Past Chair, Insurance Regulation Committee, American Bar Association (ABA) - Tort Trial & Insurance Practice (TIPS)
- Member, Federation of Regulatory Counsel (FORC)
- Member, Board of Trustees, Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (Franklin County At-Large), Executive Committee
- Board Member, Greater Columbus Sister Cities International
- Member, Advocacy Committee, YWCA Columbus
- Member, Board of Trustees, iBelieve Foundation, Secretary/Treasurer
- Member, Bricker & Eckler’s Southeast Ohio team
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-author, "NAIC Working Group Completing A Model “‘Suitability In Annuity Transactions Regulation’” Update, Which Stops Short Of Imposing A DOL-Style “‘Fiduciary Obligation’” For Insurance Agents Selling Annuities," American Bar Association Insurance Regulation Committee Newsletter, Winter 2021
- Presenter, "State Insurance Regulators’ Responses to the COVID-19 Pandemic," ABA TIPS, June 2020
- Speaker, "State Legislative Update and Cybersecurity," OAMIC Membership Webinar, April 28, 2020
- Moderator, "Legislative & Regulatory Overview," Bricker & Eckler's Ohio Insurance Cybersecurity Seminar, September 2019 and January 2020
- Presenter, "2019 Legislative Update- Potential Impacts to Economic Development," I-70/75 17th Annual Economic Development Summit, May 2019
- Speaker, "Drones for Commercial Use," Ohio City/County Management Association Winter Conference, March 2019
- Co-author, "Blockchain and the Future of Insurance Regulation," Federation of Regulatory Counsel Journal, Vol. 29 Edition 3, Fall 2018
- Panelist, "IRC CLE Panel on Insurance Innovation, Technology & Distribution," ABA TIPS Midwinter CLE Symposium, January 2018
- Speaker, "State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Finance and Technology Seminar Presentation, July 11, 2017
- Speaker, "2015 Election Wrap-Up Panel," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs CLE Seminar, November 5, 2015
- Speaker, "Surprises in the 2016-2017 State Operating Budget," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 23, 2015
- Author, "Recent Developments" (Renewable Energy, State Specific Update), American Bar Association, Section of Public Utility Communications and Transportation Law, 2011-2015
- Speaker, "Mid-Biennium Budget Review" and "Lobbying 101: Why Effective Advocacy Matters," Bricker & Eckler LLP's Government Affairs Quick Hits CLE Seminar, July 22, 2014
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association; American Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Administrative / Regulatory Law), 2022-2023
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Insurance: Insurer with a Band 2 ranking, 2021; Band 3 ranking, 2022
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers (Government Relations; Legislative & Governmental Affairs; Land Use/Zoning; Administrative Law), 2018
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D., 2002); Moot Court Chief Justice
- The Ohio State University (B.A., political science and international peace studies, magna cum laude, 1999)
Greg is a VERY amateur guitarist and has been working on getting good enough to not get thrown out of a campfire sing-along. His passion for music was limited only by his abilities and alas, he had to settle for the law as a profession…to the relief of his parents.
Greg is the proud father of two beautiful young ladies who keep him young and make him feel old all at the same time. His greatest wish is to live long enough to be an embarrassment to both girls. He can be seen here teaching his youngest an important life skill…how to properly shuck an oyster.
Greg Lestini appointed to the Board of Directors for the National Conference of Insurance Legislators' Industry Education Council
Columbus-based Partner & Financial Services/Insurance Chair, Gregory J. Lestini, is appointed to the Board of Directors for the National Conference of Insurance Legislators' Industry Education Council.More Feb 1, 2023
Schmenk and Lestini’s economic and community development briefing featured in Kenton, Ohio, news
Bricker attorneys Chris Schmenk and Greg Lestini recently gave a presentation to the Hardin County Chamber and Business Alliance members, civic leaders and elected officials describing economic development tools available to the community.More Jun 13, 2016
Greg Lestini quoted in Columbus Business First article about drone usage for businesses
As the business uses for drones increase, so do the legal obstacles faced by companies hoping to integrate this form of technology into their operations. As discussed in a recent Columbus Business First article (subscription required), operating a drone for either commercial or hobby purposes requires knowledge of and compliance with both federal and state regulations, although air rights is a “long-running and contentious debate.”More May 3, 2016
Bricker & Eckler creates Local Government Task Force, Online resource center
Bricker & Eckler LLP has established an online Local Government Reform resource center to assist Ohio’s counties, municipalities, townships, school districts, libraries and other public entities in navigating their options in the face of proposed local government reforms.More Mar 14, 2011