Jeff is a collector of vinyl records in the areas of jazz, soul and R&B. Much to his wife’s chagrin, he even built special heavy duty shelving units to hold vinyl records purchased since the early 2000s.
Jeff Harris has more than two decades of experience in economic development. He is an important part of the firm’s public finance team, managing various public finance projects and administrative functions for Tax Increment Financing (TIF), special assessment and new community authority work.
At both the city and state levels, Jeff has served in various attorney and non-attorney roles. He began his career at the Ohio Department of Development (ODSA), where he spent 10 years managing economic development grants, tax incentives and abatement programs, as well as ultimately serving as the interim CFO. Jeff was also the economic development manager and assistant law director for the City of Worthington from 2010 to 2015.
Most recently, Jeff worked with the Knox County Area Development Foundation, where he rebuilt operations and governance of the county’s nonprofit, countywide economic development organization. In this role, he led and directed county and political subdivision’s financial incentive programs and served as legal counsel to both the foundation and the Knox County Land Bank.
Professional & Community Activities
- Development Finance Certified Professional, Council of Development Finance Agencies, 2014
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, "Opportunity Zone Technical Assistance Program," Opportunity Appalachia forum, January 2020
- Course instructor, "Intro to Revolving Loan Fund," CDFA Summer School, Detroit, Michigan, August 2019
- Author and editor, Knox County Comprehensive Plan (2018 Update)
- Author, "The Wily Devils Lurking in the Details of Real Property Tax Exemptions," OML Cities and Villages, July/August 2016
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2003
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Recipient, Quality of Life Award, Knox County Chamber of Commerce, 2018
- Member, Inaugural Leadership Academy, Ohio State Bar Association, 2015
- Recipient, Outstanding Volunteer Award, The Central Ohio Chapter of NAIOP, 2014
- Listed, 20 People to Know in Economic Development, Columbus Business First, 2013
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2003
- The Ohio State University, (Master of Public Administration), 2000
- Bowling Green State University (B.A. cum laude), 1997; Phi Beta Kappa
Since the late 1980s (when they were terrible), the Cleveland Indians have been a summer go-to source of respite or consternation for Jeff. And lucky for him, all 162 Indians games are on the radio or television.
With two golden retrievers (Pete and Olive) at home, every business meeting for Jeff involves finding at least one long, strawberry blonde hair attached to his suit or sport coat, despite multiple passes with the lint brush.
Ohio Supreme Court upholds “expedited tax foreclosures,” allowing county land banks to acquire unoccupied, tax delinquent properties free of chargeMore
- Wednesday, August 12, 2020
- 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM