Mark Evans, P.E.
Mark Evans represents owners on a variety of construction matters, including drafting contract documents, defective and/or non-conforming workmanship claims, delay claims and bid disputes. As a former project engineer for the City of Columbus' Construction and Inspection Division, he scheduled and supervised inspectors for various construction projects and managed a $20 million infrastructure installation of sanitary sewers, water lines, roads and bridges. As a structural engineer, Mark performed preliminary layout and estimation of new and existing bulk material handling facilities; designed and engineered structures, including transfer towers, trusses, tunnels and foundations; and inspected existing structures for structural integrity. As a soils and concrete testing technician, he performed pavement coring for testing and conducted field concrete tests and site soil investigations.
"Mark Evans is "detail-oriented and responsive.""
Favorable verdict on behalf of a public client
On behalf of an Ohio municipality, obtained a favorable verdict in a construction-related litigation suit that had a value of over $2.5 million. The city is also entitled to recover its attorney fees.
Design-build infrastructure project
Assisted in the completion of the first design-build infrastructure project performed by our client under the relatively new construction reform law in Ohio. The legal work required numerous meetings with dozens of client representatives who had disparate views and agendas, coordinating the city charter and ordinances with the applicable Ohio statutes, crafting custom documents in concert with the client, participating in the two-step RFQ/RFP process for selecting the design-builder, and guiding the client in resisting attempts by the design-builder to modify its obligations under the contract. The project was completed ahead of schedule and cost approximately $3.6 million less than the original cost estimate for the project using traditional procurement.
Water and wastewater bids
Prepared numerous water and wastewater bid package and contract documents.
County and city template contracts
Create template architect agreements, engineer agreements, bidding documents and owner-contractor agreements for public entities including cities and counties.
Wastewater treatment entities
Provided outside legal consulting services and prepared wastewater bid packages and contract documents for Ohio's three largest wastewater treatment providers.
County procurement manual
Created a manual comparing and contrasting available construction delivery models and providing guidance on statutory bidding and procurement requirements for counties.
Professional & Community Activities
- Graduate, SEBC Leadership 21, West Chester Chamber Alliance Leadership Development Program, 2010
- Former Chairman, Board of Directors, Kentucky Newport Aquarium/WAVE Foundation
- Registered Professional Engineer
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, “2019 Infrastructure Funding: How to get it and spend it wisely,” CLE event for public entities, May 2019
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Member, Cincinnati Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Construction Law), 2015–2020
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Construction Law with a Band 4 ranking, 2012–2014
- Rising Star, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2010
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Capital University Law School (J.D., 2001)
- The Ohio State University College of Engineering (B.S. in civil engineering, 1995); member, Chi Epsilon, the National Civil Engineering Honor Society
- Bowling Green State University (studied architectural design, 1988-1990)
- Trial Advocacy Training, Judge Ralph Adam Fine
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy Training (NITA) Deposition Training
Introduction to design-build and construction manager at risk procurement for Ohio public entitiesMore
City immune to a landowner’s trespass claim for a stormwater pipe installed without an easementMore
Construction Equipment Guide cites information from Evans to give optimistic picture of construction industry's future
Citing a recent CARES Act summary publication, authored by Bricker construction attorney Mark Evans, the Construction Equipment Guide describes the specific allocation of funds and their designations.More Apr 27, 2020
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016