Quintin F. Lindsmith
Quintin Lindsmith is a partner and chair of Bricker & Eckler's Litigation group. He has a national litigation practice and represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters, including insurance industry litigation, insurance product litigation, class action defense, bankruptcy litigation, estates and trusts, health care, employment discrimination, banking, and election law litigation.
"Practice chair Quintin Lindsmith is 'an excellent litigator' by appreciative clients, who call upon his broad strengths in commercial litigation matters. His practice features particular expertise in insurance disputes, alongside wider experience in employment, probate and bankruptcy claims. "
"Quintin Lindsmith is a very strategic thinker in trials and prepares a great case."
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, The Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Member, Defense Research Institute
Presentations & Published Works
- Author, "When life gives you lemons, a computer judges you," Columbus Business First, June 2018
- Speaker, "Ethics: Brain Twisters for In-house Counsel," Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company CLE Conference, 2016
- Speaker, "Professionalism in the Age of Social Media," Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company CLE Conference, 2015
- Speaker, "Fee Arrangements and Engagement Letters," Ohio State Bar Association conference, 2015
- Featured speaker, "Defending the Corporate Officer Witness," DRI Trial Tactics conference, 2013
- Speaker, “Post-Trial Motions in the Sixth Circuit,” Columbus Chapter Federal Bar Association Seminar, 2004
- Speaker, Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, “Qui Tam Litigation in Healthcare,” 2003
- Speaker, Columbus Chapter Federal Bar Association Trial Advocacy Seminar, 2003
- Author, “Loss Prevention in the Boardroom,” The Corporate Board, January, 2001
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, Ohio Supreme Court; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Northern District of Ohio, Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Wisconsin, Northern District of Illinois; United States Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas; U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Federal Bar Association; American Bar Associations
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Insurance), 2015–2020
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Litigation: General Commercial with a Band 3 ranking, 2008–2019
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Business Litigation), 2004–2019
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Insurance), 2017
- Listed, “Top Rated Lawyers," American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel, 2013
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, (J.D.), 1984
- The Ohio State University (B.A., cum laude), 1981; Phi Kappa Phi
Bricker attorneys named 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers
Continuing the firm’s trend of excellence and distinction, 43 Bricker & Eckler attorneys have been selected for inclusion in the 2017 Ohio Super Lawyers list. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys. Additionally, four attorneys were named to “Top Lists” in Ohio.More Dec 15, 2016
Bricker recognized as Nationwide’s Inclusion & Diversity Regional Champion
Bricker & Eckler is one of three law firms across the country to be recognized by Nationwide’s legal department for its commitment to inclusion and diversity to advance the legal profession. Bricker representatives attended the Nov. 1 ceremony in Columbus to receive the distinguished “Inclusion & Diversity Regional Champion” award.More Nov 14, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016
Price transparency law victory
Earned a substantial victory on behalf of multiple health care clients and a statewide association of hospitals after the court rendered a decision declaring a price transparency law unconstitutional. This final victory came over three years after the court granted a temporary restraining order against the enforcement of the law, allowing our clients to litigate its merit.
Treasure sale approval
Secured a court order approving the sale of treasure recovered from the shipwreck of the S.S. Central America, which sank in a hurricane in 1857. The treasure included gold ingots, gold dust, newly minted and previously uncirculated gold coins, including $20 gold double eagles, minted from California Gold Rush gold in the 1850s. The treasure sold for $30 million and resolved numerous litigation matters with multiple parties in several states. It represents the first opportunity that investors from the mid-1980s will receive any return on their investment in this treasure hunt.
Dismantling of a $42 million jury verdict
Assisted in the Ohio Supreme Court’s dismantling of a $42 million jury verdict in an action brought by a former insurance agent against the company. In doing so, the Court made important clarifications of Ohio law.
Lehman Brothers $3 billion class action defense
Defended two national insurance carriers in a $3 billion class action against 264 defendants challenging provisions of credit default swap agreements.
Private arbitration for pharmaceutical developer
Represented a pharmaceutical developer in a private arbitration, securing an award of over $1 million, including attorney fees, against a global pharmaceutical manufacturer.
Public school funding prosecution
Served as a member of the trial team that prosecuted four successful constitutional challenges to Ohio's system of funding public schools on behalf of over 500 school districts, resulting in substantial additional funding for school facilities.
$4.5 million insurance carrier-on-carrier coverage dispute
Secured a $4.5 million judgment for one insurance carrier against another insurance carrier on a coverage issue.
Lloyd’s syndicate representation
Represented a Lloyd’s syndicate in an action against an insured law firm pursuing claims for rescission of policy and fraud.
Agent lawsuits in 25 states
Represented a national insurance carrier in response to agent lawsuits in over 25 states.
Defense victory in public pension plan trial
Achieved a complete defense victory following a jury trial in Wisconsin federal court in a matter involving a challenge to the market value adjustment clause of a group fixed annuity by a public pension plan.