Quintin F. Lindsmith
Quintin Lindsmith is a partner and chair of Bricker & Eckler's Litigation group. He has a national litigation practice and represents clients in complex commercial litigation matters, including insurance industry litigation, insurance product litigation, class action defense, bankruptcy litigation, estates and trusts, health care, employment discrimination, banking, and election law litigation.
"Practice chair Quintin Lindsmith is 'an excellent litigator' by appreciative clients, who call upon his broad strengths in commercial litigation matters. His practice features particular expertise in insurance disputes, alongside wider experience in employment, probate and bankruptcy claims."
"Quintin Lindsmith is a very strategic thinker in trials and prepares a great case."
"Quintin Lindsmith is "very strategic" and "he has extraordinary technical ability while also understanding the intersection of law and business.""
Bizarre treasure saga ends with large jury verdict
Won a $16.4 million verdict after three-week jury trial against Tommy Thompson, the notorious treasure hunter who found the wreck site of the S.S. Central America, which sank in 1857, and recovered $100 million in treasure comprised of Gold Rush gold coins and gold bars, but from which the investors never saw a dime. For more information, please read The Columbus Dispatch or view a presentation by Quintin Lindsmith where he describes this case.
Dismantling of a $42 million jury verdict
Successfully argued before the Ohio Supreme Court for reversal of $42 million verdict and establishing the law in Ohio as to the application of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing in contracts.
Lehman Brothers class action defense
Successfully represented defendants in a national class action brought in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy case in the Southern District of New York, which sought to claw back hundreds of millions of dollars in default swap payouts.
Secured writ of mandamus action
Successfully argued before and secured from the Texas Supreme Court a writ of mandamus requiring a trial court to correctly apply a forum selection clause and to dismiss the defendant; a decision which clarified
Texas lawas to the application of forum selection clauses.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, The Association of Life Insurance Counsel
- Member, Defense Research Institute
Presentations & Published Works
- Author, "The Novel Pandemic Jurisprudence," Columbus Lawyers Quarterly, Fall 2020
- Author, "When life gives you lemons, a computer judges you," Columbus Business First, June 2018
- Speaker, "Ethics: Brain Twisters for In-house Counsel," Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company CLE Conference, 2016
- Speaker, "Professionalism in the Age of Social Media," Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company CLE Conference, 2015
- Speaker, "Fee Arrangements and Engagement Letters," Ohio State Bar Association conference, 2015
- Featured speaker, "Defending the Corporate Officer Witness," DRI Trial Tactics conference, 2013
- Speaker, “Post-Trial Motions in the Sixth Circuit,” Columbus Chapter Federal Bar Association Seminar, 2004
- Speaker, Ohio Hospital Association Annual Meeting, “Qui Tam Litigation in Healthcare,” 2003
- Speaker, Columbus Chapter Federal Bar Association Trial Advocacy Seminar, 2003
- Author, “Loss Prevention in the Boardroom,” The Corporate Board, January, 2001
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, Ohio Supreme Court; United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio, Northern District of Ohio, Eastern District of Michigan, Western District of Wisconsin, Northern District of Illinois; United States Court of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Sixth and Seventh Circuits; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Arkansas; U.S. District Court, Western District of Arkansas
- Member, Columbus Bar Association; Ohio State Bar Association; Federal Bar Association; American Bar Associations
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Insurance), 2015–2022
- Recognized, ChambersUSA, Litigation: General Commercial with a Band 4 ranking, 2021; Band 3 ranking, 2008–2020
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Commercial Litigation; Litigation - Insurance), 2017, 2021
- Listed, “Top Rated Lawyers," American Lawyer & Corporate Counsel, 2013
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, (J.D.), 1984
- The Ohio State University (B.A., cum laude), 1981; Phi Kappa Phi
Lindsmith, litigation team victorious in $300 million Textron trial
The co-counsel team of Gibson Dunn & Crutcher and Bricker & Eckler attorneys, including Quintin Lindsmith, recently secured a jury-trial victory on behalf of client Textron Financial Corporation. The verdict ended a decade-long Ponzi scheme saga with over $300 million at stake.More Apr 24, 2020
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker recognized as Nationwide’s Inclusion & Diversity Regional Champion
Bricker & Eckler is one of three law firms across the country to be recognized by Nationwide’s legal department for its commitment to inclusion and diversity to advance the legal profession. Bricker representatives attended the Nov. 1 ceremony in Columbus to receive the distinguished “Inclusion & Diversity Regional Champion” award.More Nov 14, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016