Becky enjoys seeing all things grow, especially the next generation.
Rebecca C. Princehorn
Becky Princehorn is a partner in Bricker & Eckler's Public Finance group. Her practice emphasizes school and local government law. She served as bond counsel for the first Ohio income tax-backed school district bonds; the first publicly offered Public Library Fund-backed library notes; the first Ohio K-12 state co-funded (OFCC) project on a state university campus; the first sale of Ohio school district bonds to the USDA; the first Ohio general obligation bond issue with a local government fund pledge; the first Ohio municipal general obligation bond issue for housing; the first Ohio school district minibond issue; and the first Ohio voted bond issues for a community college district and a state community college.
She has also structured collaborations between local governments, particularly those involving school districts, and gifts to local governments. Becky is a frequent lecturer on public finance for several organizations, including the Buckeye Association of School Administrators, Ohio School Boards Association, Ohio Library Council, Ohio Association of School Business Officials, Ohio Township Association, Ohio Association of Public Treasurers, Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association and the Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities. She serves as Editor of Baldwin's Ohio Practice, Local Government Law-Township, published by Thomson/Reuters Publishing.
OFCC K-12 Project on State University Campus
Served as counsel for a recently consolidated school district for a $42 million K-12 OFCC (state) co-funded project on the campus of a state university, with the local share bonds sold to the USDA.
Security of school bonds
Interdisciplinary approach provided timely and critical information to the bond rating agency and investors regarding how oil and gas leases and mineral rights are valued for property tax purposes and the potential impact of a bankruptcy filing on the payment of property taxes for the bonds.
Bond counsel for community college district and state community college
Served as bond counsel on Ohio’s first voted bond issues for a community college district and a state community college.
Bond counsel with county intercept
Served as bond counsel on Public Library Fund-backed library notes with county intercept. Assisted with private use analysis related to community fundraising campaign.
School district/hospital collaboration
Drafted a unique school district-hospital agreement to provide educational opportunities to high school students.
Property tax and levy planning negotiation with outlet mall
Successfully negotiated payments to offset lost revenues to total $1 million for a school district from an outlet mall developer over the taxation of a $100 million mall. Worked with the school district to evaluate levy options given proposed development.
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, Ohio Tuition Trust Authority
- Board of Trustees, Otterbein University, 2010-2022
- Vice Chair, Support Ohio Schools
- Invited Participant, Ohio Department of Education Ballot Consent, Credit Enhancement Program Work Groups
- Professional Development Task Force, Ohio Association of School Business Officials
- Chair, Worthington Community Improvement Corporation
- Board Member, Worthington McConnell Arts Center
- Board Member, Worthington Resource Pantry
- Chair, Friends of the Worthington Public Libraries
- Member, City of Worthington Charter Review Commission, 2016
- Fundraising Chair, City of Worthington Income Tax Campaign, 2010
- Co-Chair, Operating Levy Campaigns, Worthington City Schools, 2009 and 2000
- Thomas Worthington High School: Activity Club, 2006-2008; President, Girls Lacrosse Parents Club, 2006-2008
- Former Chair, Board of Trustees, Worthington Educational Foundation
- Former President, Worthington City Schools PTA Council
- Former President, Thomas Worthington High School PTSO
- Former President, Kilbourne Middle School PTSA
- Former President, Wilson Hill Elementary PTO
- Former Member, Franklin County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board; Chair, 1992-1994
- Former Member, Ohio Historic Site Preservation Advisory Board
- Former Member, Board of Zoning Adjustment, City of Columbus, Ohio
- Member, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys
- Member, National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Member, Our Lady of Peace Catholic Church
- Member, St. Martha Giving Circle
Presentations & Published Works
- Co-author, "HB 140 Brings Changes to Property Tax Levies and Voted Bond Issues," County Commissioners Association of Ohio, Counselor Corner, Fall Edition, 2022
- Speaker, Athletic Facilities with Booster Support, Ohio School Boards Association Capital Conference, November 2021
- Co-author, "Ballot Questions and Issues: Behind the Scenes," Ohio School Board Association Journal, October 2021
- Speaker, "Levy/Bond Planning and the Relationship with Economic Development," Buckeye Association of School Administrators (BASA), September 2021
- Speaker, “Pipeline Valuation, Appeal Status and Legal Update,” Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association Summer Workshop, June 2021
- Speaker, "Levy Planning," Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities," December 2020
- Speaker, "OFCC ELPP Reconstituted," Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) Capital Conference, November 2020
- Speaker, "Pipeline Update," Buckeye Association of School Administrators (BASA), Ohio Association of School Business Officials (OASBO), Ohio School Boards Association (OSBA) Webinar, October 2020
- Speaker, "Navigating Project Financing," Ohio Library Council, October 2020
- Co-author, "Cash Management 2.0 - Unvoted Options for Navigating Cash Flow Deficits," SBO Quarterly, September 2020
- Author, "Legal Concepts Underlying Boosters and Capital Projects," Ohio School Boards Association Journal, June 2018
- Speaker, "County School Financing Districts," Ohio Educational Service Center Association (OESCA), June 2018
- Speaker, "Problem Solving in the Economic Development Context," Ohio Association of Public Treasurers (OAPT) Public Finance Officers Training Institute, June 2017
- Presenter, "Fiscal Caution, Watch, Emergency - Is Anybody There?," Ohio Association of School Business Officials, April 2017
- Presenter, “Conforming Boundaries,” Ohio Township Association Winter Conference, January 2017
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law; Public Finance Law), 2010–2023
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law; Public Finance Law), 2014, 2022
- Recipient, Meritorious Service Award, Worthington Board of Education, 2001
- Recipient, Business First "Forty Under 40" award, 1993
- Recipient, Community Service Award, Columbus Bar Association, 1987
- Named, Ohio "Young Career Woman of 1983," Ohio Federation of Business and Professional Women
- Ranked, AV Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell
- Otterbein College (now Otterbein University), (B.A. with honors, 1978)
- University of Kansas (J.D., 1981)
- University of Kansas (Master of Public Administration, 1982)
- Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle Graduate, 2016
Fitness and nature are a favorite combination of Becky’s.
Becky is a graduate of the 135th class of the Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circle, America's oldest continuous book club. She received her diploma at the Hall of Philosophy in Chautauqua, New York.
Traveling is best for Becky when it involves family. She enjoyed Perth, Australia, with husband and Welsh kids and grandkids in July 2018. The Welsh family currently lives in Indonesia, where they’re involved in humanitarian aid work.
Bricker Listed Among Top Bond Counsel As Ohio Leads Midwest in Bond Volume
Bricker & Eckler was listed among the top Midwestern bond counsel firms that helped bond issuers sell $71.5 billion of municipal bonds in 2019, a 19% year-over-year increase, according to a February 25, 2020, article by the Bond Buyer.More Feb 27, 2020
Princehorn featured on WOSU's "All Sides" radio broadcast
Partner Becky Princehorn was a panelist on today’s All Sides with Ann Fisher broadcast. The topic was Home Rule in Ohio where panelists discussed the constitutional amendment adopted in 1912 and how it impacts and shapes Ohio law.More Dec 14, 2016
Bricker & Eckler attorneys earn Best Lawyers 2017 recognition
A total of 66 attorneys from Bricker & Eckler LLP, representing 47.5 percent of the firm’s lawyers, were chosen by their peers for recognition in this year’s edition of The Best Lawyers in America® 2017 (copyright 2016 by Woodward/White, Inc., of Aiken, SC).More Aug 15, 2016
Bricker & Eckler creates Local Government Task Force, Online resource center
Bricker & Eckler LLP has established an online Local Government Reform resource center to assist Ohio’s counties, municipalities, townships, school districts, libraries and other public entities in navigating their options in the face of proposed local government reforms.More Mar 14, 2011