Beverly A. Meyer
Beverly Meyer is an employment and labor relations lawyer with over 25 years of experience advocating for employers in both the public and private sectors. She is also an education attorney who represents K-12 school districts, colleges and universities. Beverly’s practice encompasses all areas of labor and employment law, including collective bargaining, employee discipline, investigations, wage and hour claims, and leave and benefits issues. She also advises employers on issues involving harassment and civil rights under state and federal laws, including Title VII and Title IX. Beverly regularly litigates in federal and state courts and appears before administrative agencies, civil service commissions and labor boards. In all instances, she works with clients to develop and advance solutions that serve their best interests.
Beverly is also an enthusiastic lecturer and author on matters affecting her areas of practice and has developed and presented employment-related trainings and programs for clients and professional groups on local, state and national levels. She frequently speaks on emerging topics in labor and employment law, seeking to ensure employers fully understand their rights.
COVID-19 management counseling
Helped clients understand their legal obligations under new labor and employment laws passed in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Drafted work-from-home, leave, and reopening policies; advised on mass layoff obligations, terminations, furloughs, unemployment issues, and alternative work arrangements; and recommended best practices for essential workers, safe reopening, employee testing and health assessments, employee travel, and face covering requirements.
Professional & Community Activities
- Chair, Ohio Council of School Board Attorneys, 2019; Member, Executive Committee, 2013-2020
- Member, National School Boards Association
- Member, Ohio Management Lawyers' Association
- Editor, Ohio Municipal Service Newsletter (Thomson Reuters), 2019-present
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Volunteer, Greater Dayton Volunteer Lawyers Project
- Former Chair, Labor and Employment Law Committee, Dayton Bar Association, 2016-2017
- Former contributing editor, Section of Labor and Employment Law Publications on Employee Duty of Loyalty, American Bar Association
- Mentor, Ohio Supreme Court Lawyer to Lawyer Mentoring Program
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 1994; United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, 1995; United States Supreme Court, 2009; United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2010
- Member, Labor and Employment Section, Ohio State Bar Association; Dayton Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Education Law), 2021–2023
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Schools & Education), 2021
- University of Dayton School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- The Ohio State University (B.M.E., 1991)