Catherine T. Dunlay
Cathy Dunlay is a highly-regarded health care attorney with more than 30 years of experience. Her practice is devoted to the representation of hospitals and other health care organizations in mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures, as well as contractual arrangements, including a variety of hospital-physician relationships. She also counsels clients on operational and compliance matters, including Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark physician self-referral laws and Medicare and Medicaid coverage and reimbursement issues.
Specifically, Cathy has served as counsel in a variety of transactions, including the purchase and sale of hospital and freestanding facilities; the acquisition and restructuring of hospital-owned physician practices; the formation of a variety of joint ventures, including joint ventures for hospitals and freestanding facilities; and the negotiation of management, clinical co-management and affiliation relationships.
She has been a frequent speaker at regional and national conferences. Topics include hospital acquisition of physician practices, provider-based status and under arrangements, health care reform legislation and Accountable Care Organizations.
"Catherine Dunlay is ‘an absolute expert on corporate health care. You know you are going to get quality work from her.’"
Affiliation of two children’s hospitals
Negotiated and prepared affiliation agreement between two children’s hospitals with respect to the joint operation and ownership of one of the locations. The affiliation included a complex conversion and purchase option in favor of one of the hospitals that allowed it to purchase the other hospital outright in the event that certain “triggers” occurred.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, American Health Law Association
- Member, Board of Trustees, Arthritis Foundation, 2010–2016 (Secretary, 2015–2016)
- Member, Society of Ohio Hospital Attorneys
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
Presentations & Published Works
- Virtual Round Table Healthcare Law 2016, www. corporatelivewire.com
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 1984
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, Columbus Bar Association
Awards & Recognition
- Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2021
- Listed, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2007–2021
- Listed, Ohio Super Lawyers (Health Care), 2004–2005, 2007–2009, 2011–2020
- Recognized, Chambers USA, Health Care with a Band 2 ranking, 2016–2020
- Cincinnati Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2019
- Columbus Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America (Health Care Law), 2017
- Listed, Top 50 Women Ohio, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012–2014
- Listed, Top 25 Women Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2012–2014
- Listed, Top 50 Columbus, Ohio Super Lawyers, 2014
- Ranked as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 1984
- University of Cincinnati (B.A. summa cum laude in English Literature), 1981
Chambers USA includes Bricker practices, attorneys in 2020 rankings
For 2020, Chambers USA included 8 Bricker & Eckler practices in its annual ranking of law firms and attorneys. Additionally, Chambers recognized the 24 attorneys for their legal skills, professional conduct and client service.More Apr 23, 2020
Bricker attorneys listed by Super Lawyers for 2020
The 2020 Super Lawyers list of outstanding lawyers includes 31 Bricker attorneys, representing four of the firm’s office locations and 13 areas of practice. Notably, this year’s list includes four newly-listed attorneys, and three attorneys were named to “Top Lists” for Ohio.More Nov 27, 2019
Bricker’s Cincinnati and Columbus offices acquire high-profile health care attorneys
The state’s leading health care law firm just attracted some outstanding talent to strengthen its bench. Catherine Dunlay and Elizabeth Kastner, two of Ohio’s most accomplished health care attorneys, have joined Bricker & Eckler LLP as partners in the firm’s Health Care group. Cathy will practice in Bricker’s downtown Cincinnati office, and Beth will practice in the firm’s Columbus office.More Jan 18, 2017