Erin E. Butcher
Erin Butcher advises higher education entities on Title IX and employment matters and is an experienced litigator and mediator. She serves as an investigator and hearing officer for colleges and universities for sexual misconduct and discrimination policy violations. Erin enjoys the interactions with students, faculty, and staff these roles provide and the work required to best balance the law, the needs of the clients, and the needs of parties involved in difficult disputes. She also provides litigation defense for clients in Ohio.
Before joining Bricker’s Higher Education team, Erin represented state agencies and public colleges and universities in federal, state and administrative proceedings at the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. She has also advised clients on employment and labor issues, trained human resources professionals, and assisted with public records and open meetings law-related issues.
Title IX policies and procedures
Prepared and revised Title IX policies and procedures to comply with changing guidance.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Pro bono volunteer for Legal Aid Society of Central Ohio
Presentations & Published Works
- Presenter, Proposed Title IX Regulations, Legal Issues and Student Affairs Drive-In Conference, February 2020
- Presenter, “Higher Ed Webinar: What’s New in ADA/504 for Higher Ed Human Resources?” February 2020
- Presenter, Title IX Investigator Training Workshop for College and University Administrators, January 2020
- Presenter, Title IX Hearing Officer Training Workshop, December 2019
- Presenter, “Higher Ed Webinar: Understanding the Impact of the New Department of Labor Overtime Wage Exemption Caps on Staff (Including College Recruiters),” Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Ohio, December 2019
- Presenter, “Title IX Regulations Updates and Title IX and Title VII,” College of Wooster, October 2019
- Presenter, “Higher Ed Webinar: Title IX Litigation Update,” September 2019
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2011
- Admitted, United States District Court, Southern District of Ohio
- Admitted, United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio
- Admitted, Sixth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (J.D.), 2010; Editorial Board Co-Note and Comment Editor, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution; Board member, treasurer and grant award committee member, Public Interest Law Foundation; Recipient, Ohio State Journal on Dispute Resolution Significant and Lasting Contribution Award; Honorable mention, Nancy H. Rogers Prize in Dispute Resolution Scholarship; Mediator, Franklin County Probate Court and Night Prosecutor
- The Ohio State University (B.A. in Political Science and Philosophy, magna cum laude and Honors with Distinction), 2004