Jeff Knight is an attorney in the firm’s Education Law, Privacy and Data Protection, and Intellectual Property groups and he devotes a significant part of his practice to exploring the intersection of technology and law, particularly as it relates to fast-emerging technologies on campus and in business.
As an education attorney, he assists clients both in an external general counsel capacity and as a litigator. He understands that educational institutions are their own ecosystems and that the key to success is getting the right stakeholders the right information as efficiently as possible. Though he is well-versed in successfully navigating clients through complex matters ranging from shared governance disputes, to civil rights investigations and federal financial aid compliance, he also has the experience to defend his clients before courts and administrative agencies.
In his technology practice, he helps clients achieve and maintain compliance with an ever-changing privacy and data security landscape. He counsels clients on the nuances associated with the Federal Trade Commission Act, Gramm-Leach-Bliley (GLBA), and the EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), as well as myriad state privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), and industry guidelines and standards. While he routinely advises clients on their proactive compliance and risk mitigation strategies, he also regularly assists those that are experiencing significant data security incidents, from the initial response through remediation efforts.
Beyond data privacy and security, Jeff assists clients with filing trademark and copyright applications with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and the U.S. Copyright Office, and provides counsel on clearance searches, filings and registration, maintenance.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Advisor/Volunteer, Model United Nations – Global Classrooms, 2010–2012
Bar Admissions & Activities
- Admitted, State of Ohio, 2010
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 2015
- Admitted, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Ohio, 2015
- Member, Ohio State Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- University of Toledo College of Law (J.D., cum laude), 2010; Senior Articles & Symposium Editor, Toledo Law Review, 2009–2010; Dean’s List; Dean’s Outstanding Service Award, 2010
- University of Maryland (B.A., Political Science, History), 2005; College Park Scholar; Teaching Assistant, 2003–2005; Resident Assistant, 2003–2005; Dean’s List
Knight discusses if virtual-reality "Metaversities" are a risk to students' data privacy
This fall, hundreds of students across 10 colleges will join a small but growing cohort nationwide that is attending class in another dimension — the digital one. What does that mean, exactly, for their data privacy?More Jun 22, 2022